Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I run for ice cream!!!

At the beginning of this year I made the resolution to run more races than last year (eight). But then I decided to amend the resolution by running 12 races in 12 months. I planned to run a beach race, an adventure race, an obstacle race, a trail run and a half marathon. Phew. I also made a mental note to attempt to blog about each. THAT hasn't happened, but I am happy to say that it's August and I've run 10 races. Not going to lie, I love the nervousness that happens before a race, the anticipation kills me. Once I know I'm doing a race that's all I want to talk about or think about. I'm planning on running a 10k on Sunday, but I ran a 5k at the beginning of August. It was part of the summer series in Santa Barbara and it was a BLAST! I feel like something magical happens when I run in Santa Barbara- I want to run harder and for longer. It might be the ocean breezes or the awesome views. Whatever it is, it propels me forward.
My little sister came to visit and we decided a day of shopping and racing would be perfect for sister bonding time. The weather was perfect and we even found tanks at Lulu Lemon that we were sure would help us pr. There was just one tiny glitch. I had a cut on my right heel. The day before while trying to wrestle the dog inside (away from the mailman, who was whistling up the driveway) I had scraped a large portion of skin off of my right heel. Now I'm no baby, but while attempting to clean my cut I screamed and cursed loud enough to warrant concern from the lady next door (I'm pretty sure she spies on us). I strapped two band aids on and hobbled around giving the sad smile and accepting all sympathy that was given.
As soon as I laced up my shoes I knew I was in trouble. My running shoes hug my heels- real tight. It's one of their greatest attributes. As Nikki made fun of my skip-walk to the starting line, I imagined the inside of my shoe where my band aids were being rubbed up and down, the adhesive slowly working it's way off. And then we were off.
A few steps into the run I knew the band aids were gone. I could feel the top of the heel of my shoe stabbing my heel with every turnover. And my socks became like sand paper. Friction on an open wound is definitely a form of torture. For the first half mile all I could think about was the pain. Dreading it, anticipating it and feeling it with every footfall. And then I realized that my shoulders were practically up to my ears, I was so tense and my hands were balled up in tight fists. I had two options- stop, take my shoe off (the cut wasn't going away) and walk back, OR I could suck it up (the cut wasn't going away) and do what I came to do- RUN. So often in running you have to transcend the physical. So I did just that and before I knew it I was at the turnaround point.
As I finished the race and scanned the crowd for my much faster sister the thoughts going through my mind were, do I want the ahi or chicken wrap? Should I get mint chip or cookies and cream ice cream? (This was one of those awesome races where they provide food for the runners.) Suddenly, there was a tap on my shoulder. "You're bleeding." What?!! I quickly scanned and groped myself trying to remember if I'd been shot and hadn't noticed due to the adrenaline. "No, on your leg." Right. I'd completely forgotten about my heel. Turning around I saw that the band aids were gone and when I took off my shoe I found that my sock and shoe were also bloody. The sock had also been pushed up so it appeared as though I had a large wound (the kind that might warrant amputation). It reminded me of Curt Schilling's bloody sock in the 2004 World Series. Bad ass. Lesson learned. Sometimes you need to pull over and stop (February race- when I bruised my heel bone) and sometimes you need to push through the pain. You're the only one who knows which is the right choice. And no, I didn't pr, but I chose the ahi wrap and cookies 'n cream makes everything better. I'm definitely glad I pushed past the pain, because only then did I find my bliss.
*If I knew how to add pictures I would add the pic of my bloody heel.

1 comment:

  1. I saw the picture on FB. Gross. I would have gone for the ahi and cookie's in cream too! =) Reward!

    ReplyDelete